Being a volunteer with Coventry & Warwickshire Friend can be as diverse and enjoyable as much as you make it. We encourage our volunteers to be enthusiastic, giving as much time as they feel comfortable and possible with, using their initiative to think of anything we can do to help support the local LGBT community.
These are descriptions of the volunteer roles within Friend, please feel free to come to us with any ideas or suggestions about any projects or groups we could implement.
All volunteers will undergo training (usually two days, over two weekends), followed by a probationary period of three months working alongside a fully trained volunteer, this maybe longer dependent on how much you volunteer and progress within that time.
- Ensure you carry out your shift according to the rota, being punctual and arranging cover with another volunteer if you’re unable to do it.
- Answer calls from clients giving advice and support, referring them to other agencies if necessary, while maintaining client confidentiality and filling out the log book and stats sheet as needed.
- Reply to client emails received and delete any spam or unrelated emails.
- Check the diary for any messages.
- Carry out any jobs in the office or Friend Community Room i.e. hoovering and cleaning, filling up the leaflets, baskets etc.
- Post on Facebook and engage with any people who respond either on the page or in messages (adhering to social media policy).
- Pack condoms.
- Search for funding on the internet and leave details for the Trustees to discuss viability.
- Check the answerphone and reply to any messages left.
- Meet with clients face to face if necessary or arrange for another volunteer to meet them if unable to do.
- Attend coffee afternoons to engage with the clients and other volunteers.
- Attend volunteer forums throughout the year to develop your ongoing training and engage with the other volunteers.
Support Group facilitator
- Support and advise clients who attend the group.
- Run workshops and arrange events in co-operation with the Trustees if any money is required.
- Refer clients to other services within the charity or external if necessary.
Other Volunteer Roles
- Plan and arrange a fundraising event i.e. sponsored walk.
- Publicity and mail drop around local businesses.
- Become a Trustee.
- Work on information stalls at festivals, fresher fairs etc giving out information on our services.
- Manage one of the Facebook groups or pages set up by Friend or even set up your own.
- Devise or research projects that Friend might be able to carry out.
- Befriending clients who are new to the scene or returning after an absence, until they feel able to socialise by themselves and established their own networks or those who just need one to one support.
- Any other duties set out by the Trustees of the Charity.
If you wish to become a volunteer >>click here<< to either complete an on-line application form or download an application form.